Sunday 5 January 2014

‘He said he was no longer interested’ – Woman stabs sleeping husband to death



Zenab Agbontine did the abominable when she
allegedly murdered her husband, Egberise
Agbontine, in Ubiane Aviele village near Auchi, Edo
State with an axe for refusing to eat the food she
prepared for him after he returned from work.
Despite his several years in the police force and
having seen different murder cases, Edo State
Police Commissioner, Mr Foluso Adebanjo, said he
could hardly conceal his shock as he related the
incident to Sunday Sun.
Zenab murdered Egberise while he was sleeping.
The Axe Queen had allegedly been quarrelling with
him for more than a week before the incident
happened.
On the fateful day, when the husband returned
from office, she prepared food for him. Without any
foreboding of the murderous thoughts whirling
around in the head of his wife, Egebrise took his
bath. But when the wife later told him that his
food was ready, Egberise was said to have refused
to eat the food she prepared.
The chain of events that ultimately led to the
tragic death of Egberise began long before the
incident Zenab told Sunday Sun in an interview.
She said: “I have been having quarrels with my
husband for a long time. We tried to settle the
matter without success. One day, my husband
came back from the office and told me that he was
not interested in the marriage anymore.
“I pleaded with him but he refused. I prepared food
for him but he refused to eat the food. With
annoyance he went to sleep. At about midnight
when my husband was asleep I went to the kitchen
and I took the axe and cut him on the neck several
times, he struggled until he died. It was the devil
that used me. I didn’t know what prompted me to
kill him but maybe because he said he was not
interested in the marriage again.
“The family of my husband should forgive me. I am
calling on the elders in the community in Auchi to
forgive me because it was ignorance and the devil
that used me as I now realize that I didn’t exercise
enough patience with my husband.”
Though Zenab has resigned herself to the fate
awaiting her after trial, the future of the three
children she had with the late Egberise is her
primary concern now. Amidst tears, she remarked
on the uncertain future of her children: “I know I
will face the consequence of my action but the
question is, who will take care of my children. I
have three children for him. Their father is dead
and their mother is on the way to the prison. It is
only God that will take care of my children.”
Adebanjo stated that the suspect would be
charged to court for murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment